BEE STING & BARGAINS

While the The Driver was away camping on Mt Terrible with friends (the irony, I know, I couldn't think of anything more terrible than camping!) I went out for dinner with E & K to the Albert Street Food & Wine Store in Brunswick.

Picked up K on the way to the restaurant. I may or may not have then been distracted by conversation, driven past a stopped tram, and then proceeded to get yelled at by the tram driver, through the tram speakers at the next stop. Something along the lines of "I hope you're proud of yourself." If that wasnt bad enough, there was also the innumerable stink-eyes from the passengers still in the tram, staring at me and shaking their heads. Oops!


Anyway, we eventually arrived safely at the restaurant. It was E's venue choice this time. She lives around the corner from this place, and had heard great things about it. 


She was not wrong. The food, service and ambiance were all sensational. Our table in the back corner was the perfect setting for our night of  non stop talking and laughs. We closed the restaurant!


We started with a large Charcuterie platter to share. Loved the sharpness of the pickled vegetables that accompanied 4 types of beautiful cured meats. That's K in the background wearing a gorgeous lace/hot pink top.


K ordered the trout, whilst E and I had trouble deciding between the same two dishes, so ordered both and shared. Attention vegetarians, and potentially also game haters - you probably should scroll past the next 2 pics


Macaroni with Rabbit, Chestnuts & Chervil - OMG, the rabbit was beyond tender, and yes, that is cheese holding that slice of macaroni heaven together.


Angus bavette, smoked onion, beets, horseradish. The sour cream really made that dish. You can never go wrong with dairy.

Controversially, we were also denied the "chips" seen on the table next door, and told they only come with their amazeballs rib eye dish for two. *Note to self. Take The Driver. Order the rib eye.


We couldn't resist the call of dessert. Also spotted on the table next door - Lemon Tart to start.


Then the "Million Dollar Bullet" (chocolate mousse, chocolate biscuits, and chocolate, with licorice ice cream on the side). I'm such a sucker for anything with biscuit in it. Make me a chocolate ripple cake, and I'm
 yours!

In other news, I popped into the Airflex store at Westfield Southland yesterday and found these down to $34.95 from $119.95. Yes, that's right, 70% off! I cant remember the last time Airflex discounted any of their classic range, so I snapped them up immediately - perfect for work. I only buy leather upper and lined shoes, and the colour of these is perfect cherry red fabulous.


Meanwhile, Mimco FINALLY announced a promo this week - up to 25% off (oh, how I despise paying full price for things and then seeing them discounted days later). Rushed in to grab the patent yellow leather Gabrielle flats I had been coveting for some time, however they turned out to be too small (size 41, Sasquatch foot here). However I did discover the Prospector ballet flat in orange, LOVE! Purchased in a heartbeat.

I actually purchased the Prospector flats from the Mimco store on High Street Armadale, which I had never been to. I must say, there are some great stores in that little stretch. Midas, Oroton, Mimco, Megan Park, de Cjuba, etc. I'll be back there soon.


Picked up 3 Gloweave business shirts for The Driver, for a total of $99 in their pop-up store opposite Mimco. Told you that little strip was good.


Baked some muffins this afternoon to take the to office. Tomorrow is the RSPCA cupcake day, so I'm asking my colleagues to donate $5 in exchange for a delicious muffin. The RSPCA is where our precious fur-kid Mr Heff came from.


These are carrot & walnut - a recipe I've been using since Year 8 Home Economics class.


These are raspberry & white chocolate - a recipe I've had since I was 15, from my friend A's mum. Made with sour cream as the liquid component. Added some choc bits on top for extra deliciousness.


Good news. The Driver arrived home safely from Mt Terrible this afternoon. Even better news. He brought me a Bee Sting Cake from the Beechworth Bakery. I die for custard. Look at it and all its custardy awesomeness. Yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Being sociable is very glamourous...let's have a chat!